Article : Continuous versus pulsed origination and extinction and biozones
Authors : Trammer, J.Institute of Geology, University of Warsaw, Al. Żwirki i Wigury 93; PL-02-089, Poland, firstname.lastname@example.org,
Abstract : The count of biozones as an approximate measure of the origination and extinction rates of index taxa (mostly species) is proposed. The mean number of extinctions of these taxa per m.y. is 1.136 (Palaeozoic mean 0.902, Mesozoic mean 1.680, Cenozoic mean 0.789). In contrast with the majority of taxa, the originations and extinctions of index taxa, as well as of other taxa belonging to biostratigraphically important systematic groups, seems to be continuous.
Publishing house : Faculty of Geology of the University of Warsaw
Publication date : 2014
Number : Vol. 64, no. 4
Page : 361 – 366
Bibliography : 1. Alroy, J. 2008. Dynamics of origination and extinction in the marine fossil record. PNAS, 105, 11536–11542.
2. Alroy, J. 2010. The shifting balance of diversity among major marine animal groups. Science, 329, 1191–1194.
3. Foote, M. 1994. Temporal variation in extinction risk and temporal scaling of extinction metrics. Paleobiology, 20, 424–444.
4. Foote, M. 2000. Origination and extinction components of taxonomic diversity: general problems. Paleobiology (suppl.), 26, 74–102.
5. Foote, M. 2005. Pulsed origination and extinction in the marine realm. Paleobiology, 31, 6–20.
6. Gradstein, F.M. and Ogg, J. 1996. A Phanerozoic time scale. Episodes, 19, 3–5.
7. MacLeod, N. 2005. Biozones. In: R.C. Selley, L.R.M. Cocks and I.R. Plimer, (Eds), Encyclopedia of geology, pp. 294–306. Academic Press; London.
8. Ogg, J.G., Ogg, G. and Gradstein, F.M. 2008. The concise geologic time scale, pp. 1–177. Cambridge University Press; Cambridge.
9. Raup, D.M. 1986. Biological extinction in Earth history. Science , 231, 1528–1533.
10. Raup, D.M. 1991. A kill curve for Phanerozoic marine species. Paleobiology, 17, 37–48.
11. Raup, D.M. and Sepkoski, J.J. 1984. Periodicity of extinctions in the geologic past. PNAS, 81, 833–836.
12. Sepkoski, J.J. 2002. A compendium of fossil marine animal genera. Bulletins of American Paleontology, 363, 1–560.
13. Stanley, S.M. 1975. A theory of evolution above the species level. PNAS, 72, 646-650.
14. International Chronostratigraphic Chart (www.stratigraphy.org)
15. Paleobiology Database (www.paleodatabase.org)
16. Sepkoski’s Online Genus Database constructed by Shanan Peters (www.strata.geology.wisc.edu/jack/)
Qute : Trammer, J. ,Trammer, J. , Continuous versus pulsed origination and extinction and biozones. Acta Geologica Polonica Vol. 64, no. 4/2014