Article : Effects of soil layering on the characteristics of basin-edge induced surface waves
Authors : Sobotka, J.University of Wrocław, Institute of Geological Sciences, Department of Structural Geology, Wrocław, Poland, firstname.lastname@example.org, Sedighi, M.K.N. Toosi University of Technology, Faculty of Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering, Tehran, Iran, email@example.com, Rezaei, K.LMU University, Munich, Germany, firstname.lastname@example.org, Narayan, J.Dept. of Earthquake Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee, India, email@example.com,
Abstract : This paper presents the effects of soil layering on the characteristics of basin-edge induced surface waves and associated strain and aggravation factor. The simulated results revealed surface wave generation near the basin-edge. The first mode of induced Love wave was obtained in models having increasing velocity with depth and a large impedance contrast between the soil layers. Amplitude amplification or de-amplification of body waves was proportional to the impedance contrast between the soil layers. The average aggravation factor was inversely proportional to the impedance contrast between the soil layers in case of increasingvelocity models and proportional in case of decreasing-velocity basinedge models. On the other hand, the maximum strain was inversely proportional to the impedance contrast between the soil layers in both cases. On the average, strain was greater in case of increasing-velocity models but the average aggravation factor was greater in case of decreasingvelocity models.
Bibliography : 1. Agocs, W.B. (1956), Airborne magnetometer survey: 1 – Indo-Gangetic plains, 2 – Rajsthan, Report to Government of India (unpublished).
2. Bard, P.-Y., and M. Bouchon (1980a), The seismic response of sediment-filled valleys. Part 1: The case of incident SH waves, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 70, 4, 1263-1286.
3. Bard, P.-Y., and M. Bouchon (1980b), The seismic response of sediment filled valleys. Part 2: The case of incident P and SV waves, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 70, 5, 1921-1941.
4. Bard, P.-Y., and J.-C. Gariel (1986), The seismic response of two-dimensional sedimentary deposits with large vertical velocity gradients, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 76, 2, 343-366.
5. Chavez-Garcia, F.J., and E. Faccioli (2000), Complex site effects and building codes: making the leap, J. Seismol. 4, 1, 23-40, DOI: 10.1023/A:10098302 01929.
6. Clayton, R.W., and B. Engquist (1977), Absorbing boundary conditions for acoustic and elastic wave equations, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 67, 6, 1529-1540.
7. Graves, R.W. (1996), Simulating seismic wave propagation in 3D elastic media using staggered grid finite difference, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 86, 4, 1091-1107.
8. Graves, R.W., A. Pitarka, and P.G. Somerville (1998), Ground motion amplification in the Santa Monica area: Effects of shallow basin edge structure, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 88, 5, 1224-1242.
9. Hanks, T.C. (1975), Strong ground motion of the San Fernando, California, earthquake: Ground displacements, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 65, 1, 193-225.
10. IS-1893, part 4 (2005), Criteria for earthquake resistant design of structures. Part 1: General provision and buildings, Bureau of Indian Standards.
11. Israeli, M., and S.A. Orszag (1981), Approximation of radiation boundary conditions, J. Comp. Phys. 41, 115-135, DOI: 10.1016/0021-9991(81)90082-6.
12. Karunakaran, C., and A. Ranga Rao (1979), Status of exploration for hydrocarbons in the Himalayan region, Proc. Himalayan Geology Seminar, Sec. III, New Delhi, Misc. Publ. Geol. Survey of India 41, 1-66.
13. Kumar, S., and J.P. Narayan (2008a), Importance of quantification of local site effects based on wave propagation in seismic microzonation, J. Earth Syst. Sci. 117, S2, 731-748.
14. Kumar, S., and J.P. Narayan (2008b), Absorbing boundary conditions in a fourthorder accurate SH-wave staggered grid finite difference algorithm, Acta Geophys. 56, 4, 1090-1108, DOI: 10.2478/s11600-008-0043- Levander, A.R. (1988), Fourth-order finite difference P-SV seismograms, Geophysics 53, 11, 1425-1436, DOI: 10.1190/1.1442422.
15. Luo, Y., and G. Schuster (1990), Parsimonious staggered grid finite-differencing of the wave equation, Geophys. Res. Lett. 17, 2, 155-158, DOI: 10.1029/GL017i002p00155.
16. Moczo, P., and P.Y. Bard (1993), Wave diffraction, amplification and differential motion near strong lateral discontinuities, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 83, 1, 85-106.
17. Narayan, J.P. (2001a), Site-specific strong ground motion prediction using 2.5-D modelling, Geophys. J. Int. 146, 2, 269-281, DOI: 10.1046/j.0956-540x.2001.01424.x.
18. Narayan, J.P. (2001b), Site-specific ground motion prediction using 3-D modelling, ISET J. Earthq. Technol. 38, 17-29.
19. Narayan, J.P. (2003), 2.5-D simulation of basin edge effects on the ground motion characteristics, Proc. Indian Academy of Sciences (Earth and Planetary Sciences), 112, 463-469.
20. Narayan, J.P. (2005), Study of basin-edge effects on the ground motion characteristics using 2.5-D modelling, Pure Appl. Geophys. 162, 2, 273-289, DOI: 10.1007/s00024-004-2600-8.
21. Narayan, J.P., and S. Kumar (2008), A fourth order accurate SH-wave staggered grid finite-difference algorithm with variable grid size and VGR-stress imaging technique, Pure Appl. Geophys. 165, 2, 271-294, DOI: 10.1007/
23. Narayan, J.P., and A. Ram (2006), Numerical modelling of the effects of an underground ridge on earthquake-induced 0.5-2.5 Hz ground motion, Geophys. J. Int. 165, 1, 180-196, DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-246X.2006.02874.x.
24. Narayan, J.P., and S.P. Singh (2006), Effects of soil layering on the characteristics of basin-edge induced surface waves and differential ground motion, J. Earthq. Eng. 10, 4, 595-614, DOI: 10.1142/S1363246906002773.
25. Pitarka, A. (1999), 3D elastic finite difference modeling of seismic motion using staggered grids with nonuniform spacing, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 89, 54-68.
26. Pitarka, A., K. Irikura, T. Iwata, and H. Sekiguchi (1998), Three-dimensional simulation of the near fault ground motion for the 1995 Hyogo-Ken Nanbu (Kobe), Japan, earthquake, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am. 88, 2, 428-440.
27. Toriumi, I. (1975), Earthquake motion characteristics in Osaka plain, Proc. 4th Japan Earthquake Eng. Sym. 129-136.
28. Toriumi, I., S. Ohba, and N. Murai (1984), Earthquake motion characteristics of Osaka plain, Proc. 8th World Confer. Earthquake Eng. 2, 761-768.
Qute : Sobotka, J. ,Sedighi, M. ,Rezaei, K. ,Narayan, J. ,Narayan, J. , Effects of soil layering on the characteristics of basin-edge induced surface waves. Acta Geophysica Vol. 57, no. 2/2009